From the Depths

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:17 pm

The small horde of driders that had escaped from the opened crevice near Mount Irden were quickly coming upon a tiny, well-camouflaged camp nestled within the trees and against a natural rock outcropping that was well-protected from the elements. Unfortunately, it left the camp's sole occupant - an elven girl - without any route of escape as she glanced up, hearing the approaching commotion of unnatural footfalls racing towards her. From the unfamiliar sound, whatever was approaching would be upon her within moments, probably without even realizing how close they were to storming directly through the camp. She would have nowhere to run and nowhere to hide if they were raiders, or even hungry beasts. She had anticipated this spot for staying hidden from patrols on the road or perhaps the occasional straggling hunter, not a stampede headed directly for her.

The girl was badly bruised, dirtied from weeks of unkempt wandering, and bandaged in various places. Her hair was an un-brushed mess, tied back wildly and wrapped with a bandana, and she had been preparing a makeshift meal in the quiet of the woods over the campfire. In the few moments she had to react, she had plucked up her bow and swung back onto the far side of the hut for cover. I should've taken time to douse the fire, she thought ironically as she reached into her quiver. With an arrow nocked, she took a deep breath and waited. What was that sound? It wasn't human...but not animal, either. She kept her focus steady as she listened, and a light emerald sparkle emanated from the palms of her hands, then traced its way down the shaft of the arrow where it rested on the very edge of the bladed arrowhead.

She heard the creatures burst forth from the tree-line and into the tiny clearing of her makeshift camp. A kettle on a wooden spit clanged loudly as it was knocked over and tumbled into the rocks below and she heard the unnatural hissing of the monstrosities as they charged through. She spun, shoulder on the edge of the hut, and ducked out just long enough to take aim at the nearest target. Her mind barely had time to register that her mark was - a drider...a drider, on the surface?! - before she loosed the arrow and it flew true, glistening with her spell as it pierced the stumbling abomination dead center in the chest and sent it back with staggering force.

The other driders were alerted, but not before the girl had ducked back out of sight and nocked another arrow. There were too many of them, she thought desperately. They would find her, or be able to run her down if she attempted an escape. Instinct kicked in, and she swung out once more, loosing another arrow while she still had the element of surprise. Another drider took a hit, and another, then another, but now they had her location. She ducked back once more and drew her blade as the first of the group approached, and she listened for it to round the corner.

The curved elven blade came up in an arc as the drider's face came peering around the mud hut. She struck it from across the jaw and up, leaving a gash that sent the towering creature staggering to the side. Another drider came around and dodged her next blow, parrying with the shaft of its spear and then delivering a punishing counter-blow that glanced across the elf's shoulder. She ducked and returned a quick jab, severing halfway into one of the creature's many jointed legs, and then swooped backwards to avoid the inevitable retaliation. She felt her back hit the wall of mossy rock behind her as another one of the beasts rushed into view, longsword raised, and she braced herself to block. She was perfectly vulnerable, and she knew it. She would be gutted.

"You're wasting time!" Suddenly a hissing voice spit forth from behind, and yet another drider appeared. She could see the rest of them rushing forward, leaving her little camp in the dust as they made a break into the forest. "Kill the damnable elf girl and keep moving!"

This one, too, turned and left with its grotesque comrades.

The drider directly in front of her scowled hatefully and brought its sword down towards her neck. She caught it with her own blade and parried off the strike, just as the other spear-wielding drider doubled his efforts and pierced forward. She had no chance to block or dodge as she was caught between the two with no escape. A searing pain arced through her side as the spear-point found its way into her right side, just under the arm. Her blade clattered to the ground and, as the spear was ripped out with a sickening crunch, she dropped forward and landed flat on her stomach.

"Good. Now move!" The drider growled. They turned and continued their flight through the woods, leaving the elf girl for dead in a pool of blood. In a few moments, the camp faded back into an uneasy silence, save for the sound of the crackling fire. The only indication that the little camp existed was a slight trail of smoke from the unchecked campfire, wafting up lightly through the treetops.
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:00 pm

Mythrandiel had sealed the tunnel well and made sure that any more driders seeking escape would be tunneling through a plug of slag that would be harder than the rock surounding and a new tunnel wouldn't be a quick thing. the outside aswell was now clad in a solid mithril armored plate. He had Inspected the other entrance, the large mine and it held true to his liking. He was enroute home when he heard the commotion in the forrest and saw the driders ransack the barely noticeable camp. He had heard and seen what seemed like combat but was too far away to get there soon enough to aid in it. He only hoped he didn't find meaningless death. He would land in the clearing and after scenting around stuck his head into the hut, or as much as he could fit. He saw the elf girl laying on the ground and the wound. " Girl, can you move, can you speak?"
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:17 pm

The girl was completely motionless and unresponsive. He could still sense life within her, but it was weak and ebbing quickly. The amount of blood that she had lost was life-threatening and, unless he was able to help her soon, there was a very real risk that she would bleed out even if the wound wasn't deep enough to be fatal on its own.
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 am

Mythrandiel would pull his hed out and reach in with a clawed hand/paw/thing, and gently grab her and without wasting any time taking off again for the fortress. Hopefully someone could help her and save her life. The Driders would pay for spilling more innocent blood on HIS mountain, that he promised himself aloud. He would land hard in the courtyard. "MURBIB FORGESON!!! quickly gather anyone that knows anything of the healing arts, a she elf was injured by some driders that escaped before I arrived. She still clings to life, but only just. " He gently lay her on the ground and would softly but firmly place a digit over the wound with nothing but its weight to hold it so it put some presure but didnt break her.
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Murbib and Forgeson called people together and ran over to her, quickly setting her on one of the dwarves makeshift beds, as it was more comfortable than the sheets the Kobolds preferred.

Murbib chittered to his friends and said "We make her comfort when she wake ups but can not do anything right now, we no have skill to fix after so long hurt."

Forgeson and his men immediately started telling the Kobolds what they needed from their supplies, according to Forgeson they could save her life if they were quick about it, which he and his medical team were.  Traveling across the world usually managed to make someone intelligent when it comes to injuries and saving lives. He had had to do similar things for his dwarves along the way. After some time, and some intense operating from Forgeson and his closest men, the would was disinfected, sewn, and covered, and she would make a full recovery. As she was an elf it would happen probably rather quickly, or day or two instead of a week.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 547
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile http://arlia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:02 pm

Mythrandiel would make sure that she was tended too. He felt responsible for her injury, if he had done a better job of plugging and/or killing the driders she wouldnt have been hurt. Untill she awoke, things at the fortress would proceed as normal, with the exception that once a day Mythrandiel would have either himself or Niad check the Drider hole to ensure that it wasn't being opened again.
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:13 am

The elf girl slept for a day and a half, and only then woke from her rest fitfully and for a few moments at a time. It took two days for her to fully wake and be able to move around, and she was careful of the tender wound and its bandages. She thought she was completely dreaming, having caught glimpses of dwarves, kobolds, and dragons in her semi-conscious state.

When she finally woke, she could hardly believe that what she was seeing was actually real. With great effort, she left the bed and stepped outside, gazing up at Mythrandiel and looking across his crew in wonder.


avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 pm

Mythrandiel approached her when she awoke, or when news reached him. " I am glad you have awoken. I had feared that you might not heal. My name is Mythrandiel, this fortress is my lair, and the home of my friends here. Murbib and his tribe of kobolds, and Forgeson and his fellow dwarves. The other dragon is Niad, he makes his lair a short distance away and is also a friend.
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:07 am

"You're...a dragon?..." She half-whispered to herself, studying Mythrandiel intently. "I thought...you were all gone?" She was nearly speechless as she stared.
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:45 pm

Yes, I am. Apparently I was not on this place when the others were taken, I am from another place.  but apparently all the dragons have returned now.   How are you feeling ?
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:33 pm

"Miserable, like I've been speared by a wild Drider loose in the overworld..." She rubbed her forehead contemplatively, trying to ward off the headache from her long sleep. "You...you healed me? I thought I would die...why did you save me?"
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:56 pm

I found you on my way back here from repairing a number of plugs to the depths. The driders managed to dig through one of them. I sealed it again but not soon enough to stop them from harming an innocent. I did not heal you myself, that was done by Forgeson and other dwarves who have knowledge of healing. And I saved you because it was the right thing to do. And because It is partly my fault they hurt you, had my seals been stronger you would have been safer
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:12 am

She shook her head, still cloudy from waking up. "It was fortunate you saw me, then. How many of those fiends do you think are loose now? They were certainly fleeing to try and escape something - you, most likely."
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 pm

I'm not sure, Likely the only ones that made it out were the group that you encountered. Do you remember how many or about how many there were?
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Admin on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:02 pm

Before she could answer, the artifact he had recently retrieved called out to him in his mind, beckoning him to come to it. Strangely she could also feel this intense call and pull from, what was to her, an unknown source.
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 547
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile http://arlia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:00 pm

"Maybe eight, originally. Six now, I believe, if my shots were as true as I think." She paused, an intense look coming over her face as she sensed something peculiar. She glanced around but could see nothing to answer her curiousity. "What was that?..."
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm

You felt that aswell? Interesting, It is an artifact that was sent to this world along with my egg a century ago. We were separated and recently i felt a strange pull that led me to it. It is called "The Eye of the High God" It just called me, Why don't you come with me, I am sure it may be ablke to answer why you felt it aswell.
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:15 pm

"Perhaps," she pondered for a moment. As she shifted around, she examined her wounds and bandages. "I seem to be mostly healed. Mother always said when I was stiff from a fall, that the best medicine was to get back up." Taking a moment to stretch and make sure not to over-exert herself, she stood up and straightened herself. She began gathering her armor and equipment from nearby, a smile crossing her face. "When I was a girl, I used to dream of adventuring with dragons. And now, here I am. Am I dreaming?"
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:13 pm

::shakes his head:: No you are very much awake and alive. Perhaps you simply were yearning for something that you felt was was coming in the future?. :: he would lead her to where the Eye was. You summoned my friend
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:19 pm

"Then let's go," she said, strapping on her quiver and shouldering her bow. She felt surprisingly limber after her long recovery - perhaps the dwarves were better healers than she gave them credit for. She followed along after Mythrandiel, watching everything intently and still in awe at the dragon before her.
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Mythrandiel would keep his walk just barely ahead of her so she could actively follow him, but not too far. " Where were you heading ?"
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:35 pm

"I...don't remember," she rubbed at her forehead, trying to recall. "All I know is I was trying to get out of here. But I guess I didn't want that as bad as the driders did." She absently checked the tautness on her bowstring and the fletchings of her arrows.
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:46 am

Once they made it to the eye, which was not far from the fortresses main areas, she would behold the ever shifting orb of light and darkness before her, and somehow it would seem more familiar than most things in this world. They both heard words swirl around them "Silvanesti, Silvanos, Elvia" but they wouldnt know what they meant.

"Mythrandiel...Elf Woman...I have seen the strings of fate weave around you both. You make up an immutable moment, an immovable object within the weave. A point of Fate."
avatar
Admin
Admin

Posts : 547
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile http://arlia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Caeriadne on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:51 pm

The elf girl stared in awe, completely speechless. She turned to look up at Mythandiel, waiting for what he would do next. He seemed better prepared to handle otherworldly situations like this.
avatar
Caeriadne

Posts : 344
Join date : 2016-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Mythrandiel on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Exactly what do you mean by a point of fate? I dont quite understand?
avatar
Mythrandiel

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: From the Depths

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum