((Caeriadne)) Ripples in the Night Sky

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ((Caeriadne)) Ripples in the Night Sky

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 pm

"I'll trade you," Caeriadne said abruptly as she wheeled once more over the forces below, drawing just slightly closer to Tchazzar in midair before he took his leave. "You may know, my Red friend, that we Sapphires are among the best tunnelers. You'll find no better lair than one dug by my own talon, and I do not wish to see you out in the path of destruction that Darilith will wreak. So, my offer is this: I'll dig you a fine lair a few miles from here, perhaps to the west where you will be safer, in exchange for the loyalty and service of some of your giants. I need laborers, and humans are ever so weak and slow."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:41 pm

He seemed to think it over and then nodded "Yes this seems like a fair trade...I, Tchazzar, accept this deal. I will gift to you, ten of my hill Giants, which should be more than enough for any menial labor you would require done. You need not give them back, feel free to breed them if you wish, they can make rather useful beasts of burden if you breed and train them correct." He spoke of these sentient ((but rather idiotic)) creatures as if they were animals.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://arlia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:20 pm

"Fifteen of your most intelligent - for I have no use for the dumb ones which cannot manage to tack two boards together without a nanny - and as soon as you leave this place, I will carve you out an additional antechamber, one with great pillars for braziers, where the light of your own flame shall shine upon all your trophies and hoards in the splendor they require so they do not simply sit and gather dusk in some other unbecoming cave; that would not suit you. Do we have an agreement, Tchazzar?"
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:22 pm

"A smart beast is still a beast, Gem." He laughs and nods "We an agreement Sapphire, but now this, if you double cross me I will burn you and all your holding to dust. Do you understand me?"
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:34 pm

"I have no doubt of that, my Chromatic friend, but know that I have no intention of double-crossing you. In fact, I quite hope to never lay eyes upon you again, for this is as far north as I shall ever stake any claim. The lands south of this are my domain, and you have my word that this territory shall form my border and stretch no more towards your new domain."

With a final great beat of her wings, she began to lift into the air once more. "And now, I am off to break ground on your new lair. Draw your forces back from this place, and await me in your camps tonight. I shall return tomorrow when the sun is low again, and show you the way."

Then, switching her speech to Common and raising her great voice to be heard across the phalanx and into the inner halls of the hold as she spun to face the dwarves, she called out, "BlazeHill! I am Caeriadne of Sapphire; you have no more bloodshed and warfare to fear tonight. Your siege has been lifted, and you are saved."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:39 pm

Tchazzar scoffed with a small smirk, he completely believed this was a victory for him, and in some ways it was. He got a lair, with little effort on his own part. He would continue growing his power here, before razing the mountain kingdoms to the ground and staking his claim there.

The dwarves cheered and yelled and hollered their approval and gratitude. Their king, a burly large ginger bearded dwarf wearing a horned helm and brandishing a large pick axe like weapon walked to the front of his people and yelled "My name is Mil'drucht and the military men you see behind me are the Caith legion. My men and I, and all my civilians hiding within the keep, thank you! And ask what you want from us in return!"
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:52 pm

Caeriadne knew quite well exactly what state she was leaving Tchazzar in. She had dealt with enough vain Chromatics in her time to play directly into their misguided intentions. It was a victory for him now, in his mind, but what did that matter in the greater scheme of things? She forgot how much she rather enjoyed manipulating them like hapless little animals, simply by laying her words out carefully like a trail of bait.

"I salute you, Mil'drucht and the Caith legion, and all denizens of Blazehill Hold," Caeriadne began, "It is with great fortitude that you have held your home. I regret that I must return tomorrow to speak with you, instead of having that pleasure tonight. There is much that we have to discuss. But for now, however, there is an obligation I must fulfill to our worthy opponent Tchazzar, in exchange for his ceasefire and his relocation from your home. All I ask just now is that you all return to your keep and await my return. Do not let your guard down, for there are other threats on the horizon."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:19 am

Mil'drucht nodded and bowed his head for a moment before calling out "Yes lady Caeriadne! We shall await your return here in the keep. Much honor and glory to you, savior of BlazeHill Hold!" The dwarves that had gathered around their king yelled the same thing, much honor and glory to her, the savior of BlazeHill Hold.

Tchazzar waited in his camps, his hordes of fools and monsters waiting on him like some god of deified and grand thing. Behind his wards and protections, making sure no one could harm him here, or read his mind here, he schemed and plotted. Take his new lair once it is given, raise an army, take the mountains and then...then swear fealty to Darilith, and secure his reign over the HIS mountains. This foolish sapphire would never know, until it was far too late.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Caeriadne made no attempt to pry at the Red's plots. Besides, she had plenty of her own to hatch.

True to her word, she streaked off through the night sky towards the west. She traveled for miles, scoping the landscape until she found a low, hilly area that was secluded from any nearby activity. After she landed, she tested the rocky hills for one of the right height and density, and then began to burrow. Her talons shredded through the stone, ripping out a low arced entrance, and then she began to tunnel at an angle into the earth below.

After going down a solid distance, Caeriadne carved open a large chamber with a vaulted ceiling. She spent hours on this alone, but by the time it was complete, it was large enough to accommodate Tchazzar's huge body and most of his undisciplined mass in safety. This would be the antechamber. She carved it out large and grand, quite impressive and a testament to her Sapphire tunneling heritage. As promised, she etched out dozens of grand stone pillars that stretched seamlessly from the floor of the cavern up to the sprawling ceiling, and near the base of each spire she left an outcropping designed to serve as a brazier for Tchazzar's own flame to light the lair.

Towards the back, she shaped a great stone pedestal which Tchazzar could fashion into his throne. Behind this, she dug one final room, much smaller than the other and with fewer of the great pillars, but it would serve well for a stash for Tchazzar's private hoard.

True to her word, the lair was rather impressive, despite having a simple design. It was perfectly suitable for any proud Chromatic. Of course, Caeriadne had to put her own 'special' finishing touches on it. Underneath several of the spires, she had cut undermining angles into the stone that would be impossible to see for anyone who did not actually remove the pillar to examine its base. These cuts were not, in and of themselves, dangerous to the support of the cavern ceiling, as there were more than enough pillars to adequately support the weight of it; even the mass of a dragon walking on the surface above would not be enough to cause any one of the supports to bow in. But, who knew what would happen if those particular pillars with the hollowed cuts underneath their bases just so happened, by chance, to give in during an explosion or a targeted attack of the cave's rudimentary structure...

The sun had risen and was reaching well into the mid-morning sky by the time she had finished. Curling herself atop the pedestal and looking out across the empty antechamber that would soon be filled with an angry Red dragon and his minions, she allowed herself a few hours' rest before returning. She hadn't slept since the night before the Council meeting, two days ago. She drifted off, dreaming fitfully of dying gods and malevolent monstrosities to come.

It was noon when Caeriadne awoke with a start, and she took several moments to collect herself before she rose and took a final review of her work. She straightened a few rough edges, detailed some of the spiraling curves on the pillars, and made sure that everything was of a quality worthy of a Sapphire's craft. Satisfied with her work at last, Caeriadne slithered forth from the angled entrance of the brand new lair and wiped some of the stone chips and dust from her great claws. Her promise was fulfilled, and she scoffed at the idea that such a fine lair would be fouled by a witless plebeian Red for whatever primitive and nefarious means might allow him to get his jollies. At least it was a relatively bloodless victory, she consoled herself.

She lifted herself into the sky once more, taking off towards BlazeHill so she could tell Tchazzar his lair was complete, send him on his way, and then begin her work at the Hold. She flew in near the Red's camp and landed nearby. "I return, Tchazzar."

Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Tchazzar walked forward and smirked "My lair is completed then? Ready for me and my legions?" He looked down at the sapphire, he didn't even need to try to look large and threatening, it was just natural for a red dragon, especially one of his age.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:37 pm

"It is completed," she affirmed, and then gave him detailed directions to its entrance. "It will be a fine lair for you and your legions to build upon. And my giants?"
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:12 am

He motioned with one of his claws hands and a group of 7 giants came forward, two of them were young. "The smartest five of my legions, they'll be able to do menial labor and chores, and help in the simpler areas of construction. The other two are children that belong to...one of these giants. Giants have a tight clan mentality, without their parents they would be useless meat. I don't rightly like the taste of giant. You take them."
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:56 am

Caeriadne nodded briefly, acting as if she were dismissive of the giants for now. In reality, she was quite disgusted by how Tchazzar spoke of them, even if they were simple-minded.

"Fine. And the other eight?"
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:31 pm

He rolled his eyes "The other eight are packing up their tent camp and taking their relgious idols or some such foolishness. I suppose they are of some cultural importance to them, if you could say these things have a culture. They will be here shortly.."
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:52 pm

"Good. I will wait." Caeriadne sat back on her haunches and made herself comfortably. She took the opportunity to scan Tchazzar and his forces more closely while she waited; it was unlikely that she would have no further contact with this troublesome Red so close to her territory.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:52 pm

His forces, though disorganized, were rather impressive. Back in her day this would have allowed him to carve out a chunk of some of the more powerful kingdoms, but of course back in her day empires were not as large as they are now, nor were they as well defended. Draconic absence had done wonders for the kingdoms of small races. There were obvious signs that he had been trying to train these creatures to fight in a more organized strategic fashion, the rudimentary battle lines she saw may be evidence of a VERY slow progression in his effort.

Then there was Tchazzar, just looking at him she could tell if she had to fight him one on one in close quarters, she would stand little chance. He was large, muscled and obviously hardened by past battles. But that wasn't special, he was chromatic, and a red. They were all impressive physical creatures. What stood out most perhaps, was around his neck. A large golden amulet, seemingly secured in place on his chest by magic, bearing a religious symbol, the five dragon heads of Tiamat.

Shortly, the other eight hill giants arrived with their camp and supplies tied up and placed in packs that were fastened on the backs of the larger giants of the group.

"There, I believe this concludes our business transaction Sapphire?"
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am

Caeriadne had noted the amulet with some ironic disdain. Oh, how she would love to see the expression on that smug Red's face when he learned that his beloved wicked goddess was butchered by her very own ally. She caught herself feeling a pang of - what was that?...pride? - for Raziel. She quickly buried that feeling down and focused on the task at hand.

"Indeed, Chromatic." She hooked her talon in a gesture for the giants to follow along behind her. "Safe travels," she added as she waited for Tchazzar and his remaining forces to take their leave.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Tchazzar turned to his army and shouted in a loud voice, a language she could remember hearing, but she never got around to learning, known as Dark Tongue. Most monstrous races could speak it, but to any good aligned species, even just hearing it could cause headaches and pain. "Parpara Kulshodar Uzg!" was what he yelled, obviously a command of some sort, for they all began to pack and move.

He smirked "To you as well Caeriadne, to you as well..."
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:53 pm

She watched as Tchazzar and his camp went, making sure they were on their way with no more difficulty.

Once they were out of sight, she turned and glided up to the center of the hold to address her new followers.

"Mil'drucht and the Caith Legion, all the people of BlazeHill who have held fast against your siege," her voice boomed, "come forth. I have returned."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:21 pm

King Mil'drucht and a number of the Caith Legion had been outside the main Keep keeping a look out over the surronding area, obviously for attacks, but also to lament all they had lost. Many fires still burned in this city, and pillars of smoke could be seen rising from miles and miles away, across the entirety of their old hold.

Their king Mil'drucht walked forward "My lady Caeriadne! Welcome back, me and my people have been waiting for you to return. Has our enemy left? Are my people safe?"
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Caeriadne had gestured to the giants to follow, as she wished to include them in her address. She took opportunity of the time it would take them to walk up to the hold by explaining the situation before their arrival.

"Your enemy, the Red Dragon Tchazzar and his brutes, march away as we speak. I have cast them off from your home, and your people are safe. With that said, I do not wish you to be alarmed at the sight of my new followers. Several of the dragon's forces have defected and joined our much worthier cause. They will be allies to you." What might have been considered a smile spread across her noble reptilian features. "I do not wish you to fear, for they shall be under my service and will render you no harm. You have my word of that, but I do not blame you if you may harbor some mistrust for them as of yet. They will join us for what I have to say to you all next, but out of my respect and consideration for your enduring struggle to maintain your home, I will permit them no further into the Hold just now."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:56 pm

The dwarves seemed very distrustful of the hill giants once they came into view, but it was obvious that in the past, these dwarves must have worked alongside giants because they quickly got used to the sight of them at the very least. Mil'drucht sighed and said "If you promise us that they will cause no harm, we will allow this. But they will be watched carefully for any signs of treachery, even with your promise. I hope you understand."

They waited for her to begin speaking again, after the king said his peace about the hill giants.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:18 pm

"Not only do I understand, King Mil'drucht, but I respect and honor your caution as very prudent and wise; it endears you and your people all the more to me, for I would do no different in your position."

She waited for the hill giants to join them and bowed her great head to all the parties assembled, waiting for a brief moment of silence before beginning. "We have all been brought here today by the crossing paths of fate. I come to you in your time of need not to indebt you to my service. You are free, now more than when you were under a terrible siege, to make your leave and pledge no fealty to me. Any of you who stand here before me must do so out of loyalty and not fear or begrudging duty. Any who so wish may leave now, and no harm shall come unto them." She swept her gaze across everyone before her, dwarves and giants alike, and let silence fall as an invitation to any that would speak up or take their leave.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:20 pm

No one stepped away from her, some even stepped closer, some came out of where they were watching from in the keep to more symbolically pledge themselves to her. But either way, it was obvious, none of these dwarves were leaving.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:23 pm

Caeriadne looked across the crowds, saying nothing for a long time. She looked once more at the giants and repeated herself in the simplest Common she knew, to be sure that they understood as well. Despite this, her tone did not seem condescending.

"You were slaves and servants to Tchazzar. That will not be so with me. You can stand with me if you want to and I will treat you well and take care of you, or you can leave now and be free on your own."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top