The Council of Mixed Magus

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Council of Mixed Magus

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Sun May 29, 2016 5:35 pm

(This would take place at the mixed races capital  location 10 in a local Mage guild)

The Elder Mage had called a meeting today to discuss what he called a very important issue. Brevnin sighed, to him there was always some very important issue to discuss. He longed to stop all of these meetings. All they ever did was talk and plan. But his heart desired action, on the front lines. Brevnin was born in the dwarven cities of Stoneforge, though he remembers very little of it. His mother and father, fed up with the politics between the dwarves and humans moved to the islands here to begin a life of commerce and trade. Brevnin had taken to other paths. Now he served as a respected member of an inner circle of clerics devoted to the Sun God Pelor. The circle is in association with the Elder Council of Mixed Magus and that was why Brevnin, the dwarven cleric longing to make a difference in the world, was stuck in a stuffy room waiting to discuss some very important matters.
He scoffed and chuckled to himself as he positioned himself into a chair. The meeting had yet to start and people were only mingling at this point.
He'll admit it, something did seem a to be happening. Pelor had been sending him some cryptic dreams in the last few weeks. Strange dreams of giant snakes or creatures with rows of teeth. He would watch them with awe and fear, and each time Pelor's sun would banish them. But he doubted his god wanted him to sit down and talk about his feelings. He should be out in the world, discovering what this meant!
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Council of Mixed Magus

Post by Caeriadne on Sun May 29, 2016 7:11 pm

With a shuffling half-walk, half-stoop, the old tiefling mage Rethus entered the room. He was late again, and that was unacceptable because there was something very important happening today. He had no idea what - frankly, he had been locked away in his quarters with his latest additions to his library. He had just managed to get his hands on Volumes 3 and 4 of The Lusty Argonian Maid, and he had only just begun to decipher them - oh, but he had so much left to learn! The idiosyncratic depths of the literary arcana were just delectable.

Nevertheless, the Elder Council had summoned him, and so here he was. His old robes whisked across the floor as he took an open seat next to Brevnin, leaning his short cane up against the table and fussing with getting his chair aligned just right so it wouldn't irritate his bad hip.

"Ah, Brevnin, my boy! Good to see you, good to see you. Any news on what we're here about this time? It sounded very important!" His voice was tinged with enthusiasm and interest. He glanced around the room expectantly and then resorted to fumbling around in his pockets for something.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Sun May 29, 2016 7:36 pm

"Bah! Very important my boot," grumbled Brevnin. He respected the old mage. But secretly he thought the teifling had a loose gear or two.

"No doubt we'll sit around for an hour before they tell us. But it's always good to see you Rethus. Has your hip improved at all?"
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Sun May 29, 2016 9:57 pm

"Good to see you, my boy," he repeated, as if he hadn't said it just seconds before. "Ah, no! The ole hip is just the same as ever. I'm about ready to trade the blasted thing for a new one. Bah!" He chuckled heartily as he absently rubbed some of the soreness away. The old mage had given many years in service, and it was rumored that in his hey-day, he was quite a force to be reckoned with. Now, the poor man had practically withered away. His eyes were starting to carry the heavy dullness of age. Even the tiny worn nubs where his horns had once been were shrunken back into the deep wrinkles of his forehead, becoming obscured by the years.

"Most likely, yes! That seems to be the new way of doing things, always waiting around for this and that. Get on with it, I say!" He pulled an old pipe out from his robe and began loading it with a fragrant loose-leaf tobacco blend that smelled half as ancient as he did. "So it's been awhile, my boy. What's been occupying you these days?" He glanced around the room, wondering just when everyone would actually start.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Sun May 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Brevnin chuckled. Always an amusement. "Oh the council has me doing this job and that. It seems there's less exciting work for people like us during peaceful times. Nowadays, I'm sitting around curing old joints, or broken bones. Helping cats down from Trees.." Brevnin chuckled at his own joke. "It's good work, but I get the feeling I'm suited for a bit more." He patted his mace.
"They send all their warriors out so that they can have all the fun. Don't they know I can hold my own? Pah. I'm starting to think I joined the wrong guild. It seems the spellcasters never get past the dinner table."
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Sun May 29, 2016 11:42 pm

"Ah, Brevnin," old Rethus smiled. "I do admire your fire, son, I really do! But don't you go wishing your life away on silly adventures. The wisest man in the world is no good dead in some far reach of the world! Do you know how many of the men sitting amongst us this very moment..." He paused after he lit his pipe and took a long drag off of it. "This very moment, have seen things out there that have left them so utterly terrified of the idea of setting foot out of the walls of this council hall! Find yourself a happy medium, my boy, and let your path play out its course without all that impatience." He took another hit off of his pipe, the potent waft of tobacco smoke filling the air. He then held it out in a polite offering to Brevnin. "Besides, the dinner table is just fine with me. If there's one thing all these scatter-brained magus can do right, it's lay down a good meal!" He chuckled and scratched at his grey-black beard.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Mon May 30, 2016 1:00 am

"Heh, I'll concede to you on that one. I've never been disappointed by a hot meal, here. Still though, my heart yearns to get moving. I'm not made for the cushy lifestyle.."
The dwarf sighed. It was true. He was a broad dwarf, and tall for his kind. Beneath his priest robes he wore a coat of chain mail. Perhaps the most obvious feature is that Brevnin never left home without his bronze mace, Mizmazz. A family heirloom...He would always say. No one in Brevnin's house, house Gravelgrip, remembers who found it.
"But my friend, I've not asked how you have been! If it were not for this meeting, I'd think you'd still be locked away researching who-knows-what. What has been occupying your time?"
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Mon May 30, 2016 1:33 am

Rethus decided not to tell Brevnin the truth, that it was really The Lusty Argonian Maid that had captured his interest as of late. Without missing a beat, he shrugged. "Ah, nothing of much excitement! I've found a new tome for Comprehend Languages, so I've been working on that. You'd never imagine just how complex the syntactical grammatical structure of Goblin is..."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Mon May 30, 2016 2:40 am

Brevnin completely missed the lie. He never once thought Rethus would pursue something other than academics.
"Yes, yes I should have known you'd be off working for the greater good. Well, I'm sure you'll win brownie points with the Goblins."
Brevnin yawned as large as his mouth could open. Other Mages have begun filing in to the meeting room and taken their place at the table. Everyone still mingled about talking and discussing the day's matters.
"Well! What's taking this so long? You'd think they were engraving their announcement on stone slabs!"
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Mon May 30, 2016 10:02 am

"Brownie points with those little fetchers? Bah! Nothing of the sort. But it'll be useful when we excavate their ancient sites after we exterminate the little buggars. Ah, what wonders their culture will hold for us to explore and dissect..." The old tiefling twiddled his gnarled fingers together. Was that...a little smile on his face? No, it couldn't be.

"Patience, patience, my boy! I'm sure we'll know in just a few minutes. It must be very important, you remember. Maybe we're getting a new mage on the council, or there's another raiding party of those Fire Kin type Ork mages nearby, or maybe..." He lowered his voice significantly, into a dramatic whisper. "Or maybe the King is having that, er, embarrassing personal problem again and needs our best alchemists. You do remember that, don't you? Oh, trouble, trouble..." Rethus shifted and took another steady puff off his pipe.

Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Mon May 30, 2016 2:32 pm

Brevnin had just pulled out his wineskin. It will be a long day he thought. This proved to be a mistake for when Rethus had said his last comment, Brevnin choked on his gulp. He sputtered as a bit of wine came out his nose and onto his thick brown beard. In between coughs he managed to say, "Gah! Uh-cough-yes! I-cough cough-I remember and for everyone's sake, the King included I hope that little problem is solved for good!"
He gave one more cough and steadied himself. Then his mind drifted to a time he'd almost forgotten. His face grew pale and is eyes wide as he recalled. The king had summoned even the rookie mages to his aid...Brevnin must have produced a hundred tinctures and salves. The King insisted they be carefully applied...So many hours of ritual baths and meticulous inspection...the thought of it put him back into a cold sweat!
Just then the voice of the Elder Mage broke him from his trance with a, "Welcome!" Brevnin jumped a bit and rubbed his face. "Yes, trouble indeed-ahem-well..ah. Good thing this is starting." He tried hard to push the images from his mind.
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Mon May 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Rethus seemed a bit concerned, as if he thought the poor dwarf might choke and die right there on the spot. He was just about to open his mouth to utter some worried and woeful sentiment when the Elder Mage started to announce the beginning of the meeting. Rethus placed a hand on Brevnin's shoulder, giving him a comforting little pat-pat, as he turned to listen to what all this fuss was about.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Mon May 30, 2016 5:43 pm

Eveyone quieted down to here the very important news. The Elder Mage stood in front of his seat. He was a wise old Grey Elf, robed in emerald green. His hair pulled back and silver. An adviser to the King.
"Now, I'm sure you're wondering why we needed you all here...our matters are," He winked at Brevnin and Rethus, "of the utmost importance. Something has been stirring in the world, and we believe that an ancient power has been unlocked. The mages are some of the few beings that study the old ways, and as such I'm sure you all have come across the legends of the Dragons. Once fearsome beasts that controlled skies, mountains, and oceans. They have all but disappeared from history now." He paused, and his face grew serious.
"What I am about to tell you should not leave this room, as the knowledge could put us in danger. We believe that Dragons have returned to the world. How or why we do not know. Yet we have seen a vast number of them re-enter our world from another plane very recently. We have called this meeting to discuss the best course of action"

Brevnin's eye sparkled with delight. How magnificent! Dragons? The creatures of legends. He believed them to be extinct! But of course, it made sense. The visions of the serpents in his dreams. Surely this is what Pelor had been trying to tell him.
"Excuse me," Brevnin interrupted, "But this could be a blessing! We finally have the chance to study and learn from the dragons! Our books have told us that they possess and ancient knowledge, and many of them worked with the humanoid races to the betterment of both species! Why, we should be out searching for them. I'd happily go!"
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Mon May 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Rethus buried his face in his hands and shook his his head. "Brevnin, you'd be a snack, my boy!" He tried to half-whisper harshly, but it came out just as loud as if he had declared it aloud across the room. "The time of dragons was wicked and awful, you know! Conniving beasts, they are!" He gave Brevnin a little tug, as if trying to shake some sense into him and get him to quiet down so that the Elder Mage could continue without searching for potential volunteers.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Brevnin, reluctantly acknowledged he was out of place and sat down. That did not, however, stop him from speaking his mind further. His hands dropped to the table and he leaned forward.
"Not all the dragons acted with such trickery, Rethus. Are we not a place of peace and kindness to all races? There were plenty that were on our side in the ancient times. Imagine what befriending a benign elder dragon could do for the city! Would a dragon not be the best defense against another dragon?"
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Tue May 31, 2016 12:04 am

"Until the thing slowly dominated the whole city from the inside out," Rethus sighed. He seemed skeptical, at best. "We should find out what's been happening to keep them locked away, and discover what we can do to keep it that way. A world with dragons in it is no world I want to be a part of."
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mythrandiel on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:03 am

Kaelryn had been quietly listening while leaning against a pillar. Kaelryn wasn't your average mage, he didn't live or even work within cities. He lived and mostly travelled in the wilderness, honing his nature based magiks and his almost ranger like combat skills. He was in his 40's and fairly well built for a mage preferring boiled leather, studds, and a dark brown cloak and hood. His staff, more of a glaive with 2 opposing blades atop leaned next to him. He nodded at Brevins statement, some dragons were indeed kind and magnanimous, he choose to stay silent for now and listen.
Mythrandiel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:23 am

"With all due respect, it would be foolish not to learn from what has transpired. Think of the history and knowledge that could be lost if we seal the dragons away again? And that's a big IF." Brevnin leaned back in his chair. He knew there was no use trying to argue with the council. It was always the path of caution for them.
"I suppose, I could dig into my libraries and find more information first. Perhaps we should investigate what caused them to disappear in the first place."

The Elder Mage's eyes lit up and he interrupted for the first time. "Exactly what we had in mind Brevnin!" He began to construct a diagram on a large slab of slate in the room. "Now it seems that they were held captive is some kind of plane, though we aren't sure of where, or how, or even if..."

As his voice droned on, Brevnin found himself quickly losing interest. There were numbers and equations and discussions on magical theory. No doubt someone would pipe in any minute now asking whether the material plane was even real or if it was the imagination of one of the gods. And that maybe we should redefine the whole structure of planes because they really looked more like triangles anyways. And Pelor knows what else. It gave him a belly ache. He decided to step out for a minute and get some fresh air.
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 pm

Rethus remained inside at the table, his arms crossed and forming a makeshift headrest as he leaned forward at ease. He had learned, with no small amount of self-satisfaction, that his advanced age afforded him a solid sense of slack with the other mages. No one minded if the old man hunched forward to listen, occasionally readjusting his pipe and puffing modest tufts of smoke to the side. He devoted a fair deal of his attention to staying awake, because he didn't want a repeat of the last time he fell asleep during a Council meeting - that reminded him, the tailor should've fixed that burn in his other robe by now! - and, aside from that, the whole concept of dragons was of interest to him.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucaerys on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:14 pm

A young woman pale skinned with ember eyes approached the council hall dressed in fine black silks, corset with silver embroidery, and a riding cloak draped over her shoulders.  Her fiery red hair was braided to one side and kept fairly neat despite her journey to the kingdom.  She carried no staff nor a wand for magic however, any who were versed in the arts could sense an immense power within her.

She gave little more than a brief nod to the man standing outside the council hall as she approached.  Perhaps someone had found out what she was, and this meeting was to be her trial and execution, or perhaps not.  Either way she did not trust the mages council to be even the slightest bit fair toward her plight. And yet here she was, returned at long last to the halls she condemned among the men she despised for her treatment as a child, though that was more years than she shows in the past.
Lucaerys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xhar'zyavhir on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:55 pm

Brevnin noticed the woman with the striking hair. He didn't recognize her and she didn't seem to be from around her, but she held an intense vibe to her. He shuffled back inside, thinking that something interesting might be happening now. At the very least they might have changed the topic away from the nature of planar realities.
If the woman had not gone in yet, he would hold the door for her, "Do have business with the council miss?"
Xhar'zyavhir

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Caeriadne on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:49 pm

Glancing up with a pipe perched halfway out of his mouth, Rethus regarded the woman entering the room with a bit of surprise once the familiarity began to sink in.

"By the gods," he murmured to himself. It had been so long since he had seen her - he thought he might never see her again, especially not in this place, but alas...here she was. And at a time like this? Maybe this was more serious than he thought.

He offered a tiny, respectful nod to the girl after a few moments' hesitation. He said nothing for the time being, but his attention was clearly fixed on her.
Caeriadne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mythrandiel on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Kaelryn turned his gaze to the girl for a few moments. He could feel some intense hiden power residing within her but he couldn't quite place it. This would be more interesting then he thought, and might just be worth the time it took him to travel there.
Mythrandiel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucaerys on Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:35 pm

The woman paid little mind to the man holding the door open as she stepped through the doorway, taking in the unimpressive gathering of mages. A small grin spread across her face, if she was to be kill this day they had brought far too few to the occasion. When she was in full view she bothered not to bow to gathering of mages nor to the Arch Mages themselves, instead she got straight to the point.

"I have answered your summon, so do tell. What is it you want from me?"
Lucaerys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mythrandiel on Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:06 pm

Kaelryn would cock and eye brow at the woman and shifted from leaning against the wall to look at her more direcrtly than at the other mages. This woman had little regard for the mages council, he could relate to that. This WAS going to get interesting.
Mythrandiel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top